Online Progressive Intensive Couples Therapy with Trish Purnell-Webb
Progressive Intensive Couples Therapy is an approach designed specifically for working with couples in an online environment using Gottman Marital Therapy. Online Progressive Intensive Couples Therapy is an increasingly popular and successful way for couples experiencing distress to stabilise their relationship and begin to re-design, re-imagine and re-build a better more satisfying and happier life together.
Progressive Intensive Couples Therapy is an approach designed specifically for working with couples in an online environment.
The approach consists of 4 phases:
Phase 1 - Assessment
Online therapy of any kind poses a number of different challenges than face to face therapy, therefore it is only suitable for certain types of couples. A thorough assessment is conducted to ensure that the therapist has a deep understanding of your particular circumstances and individual needs and the suitability for online therapy in our particular case.
The Assessment Phase which involves 4 x 1 hour ZOOM sessions with Trish:
• Both partners first complete an online couples assessment developed by The Gottman Institute;
• Both partners attend together in an initial 1 hour consultation to determine what has brought you to therapy and to obtain a relationship history;
• Each partner then has their own private one hour individual session to engage in a personal history interview that allows Trish to deeply understand each of you;
• Both partners then attend a feedback and goal setting session - During this session, you will then collaborate on an appropriate plan to move forward.
This might include:
• contracting to attend online progressive intensive couples therapy with Trish (see below);
• engaging in face to face therapy with another therapist in your area;
• engaging in online couples coaching (see below).
By the end of the consultation you and your partner will:
• Have a much deeper understanding of both the strengths and challenges in your relationship.
• Have a greater understanding of what it takes to create a strong, healthy, stable, satisfying and long-lasting relationship based on Gottman’sevidenced based model of Sound Relationships;
• Receive specific tools, strategies, ideas and resources to help you work towards creating the relationship you both want; and,
• Receive a range of recommendations to help you address any of the challenges your relationship may be facing.
You will also receive a written report after your feedback consultation based on the data collected in your Gottman Connect Questionnaire that will provide you with a summary of the strengths and challenges in your relationship.
Please contact Kylie-Jo via phone or email for Trish Purnell-Webb availability and booking process
Phase 2 - Intensive Therapy
If it is determined that an online approach is likely to be helpful and you wish to proceed, you will be prioritised and scheduled for (minimum) three 4 hour online intensive therapeutic sessions that will be completed within the following 2 weeks. The focus of these sessions will be to help you learn how to move out of painful gridlocked escalated conflict, repair old unprocessed hurts and misunderstandings and move towards a relationship that feels more understanding, connected and attuned.
At this point you will most likely have developed a range of new relationship skills and ideas for how to keep working on your relationship. You and your therapist will together to discuss your progress and any ongoing needs for additional follow-up appointments as you move into Phase 3.
Phase 3 - Integration
Now is the opportunity to spend time working together at home to ensure you can consistently put your new skills, strategies and behaviours into action. Generally speaking, most couples will continue to engage in fortnightly 1 or 2 hour follow-up appointments for a few weeks to ensure they are able to consistently utilise the skills, strategies, and ideas that have been learned.
Phase 4 - Relapse prevention
At this point most couples feel confident to continue their re-building on their own and our research has indicated that continuing with monthly check in appointments for a few months are important in guarding against relapse. These are then faded out to 3 monthly and perhaps 6 monthly (just like your dental check ups) until you feel confident you have all the skills to continue to deepen and strengthen your relationship on-goingly.