The Art and Science of Love
Join the thousands of couples who have learned The Art and Science of Love by coming to one of our renowned weekend couples workshops. 2 days filled with practical, simple tools and exercises confirm, strengthen or restore your love For couples of every orientation Shown to achieve results similar to those of 6 months of marital therapy (though the workshop is not therapy) Produces positive results for 86% of those who attend (based on exit surveys) Along with the memory of re-connecting and the knowledge that “we can do this!”, you will take home a box of techniques, cards, tools and tips to support your relationship in your everyday lives.
What’s Behind the Success of the Art and Science of Love Workshop?
In a word: Science! The Gottman's work is grounded in 40 years of research with more than 3000 couples. 86 percent of people who complete this couples workshop make significant progress on conflicts that once felt “gridlocked” These numbers are a big improvement over other forms of marital intervention. For example, acclaimed marriage researcher Neil Jacobson conducted an evaluation of one of the most highly regarded therapy methods and showed that only 35 percent of couples using it improved their marriages.
Who will benefit from attending?
This workshop is designed for ALL couples in a committed relationship. Research shows that on average, couples wait six years from the first signs of problems to get relationship help. It is designed to strengthen your marriage or relationship. If you have a strong relationship, this workshop will provide you with insights and tools to make it a great one. If your relationship is distressed, this two-day workshop will provide a road map for repair. No public discussion or disclosure is involved. All work is done as a couple.
What you’ll learn
This two-day workshop will give you new insights and research-based relationship skills that can dramatically improve the intimacy and friendship in your relationship and help you resolve conflict in a healthy, productive way. At the workshop, couples will learn how to:
- Foster respect, affection, and closeness
- Build and share a deeper connection with each other’s inner world
- Keep conflict discussions calm
- Break through and resolve conflict gridlock
- Strengthen and maintain the gains in your relationship
If a couple is dealing with physical abuse or battering, this workshop may not be appropriate. In these cases, please consult a trained couples therapist in your area.
1. The five basic questions:
- How is your marriage/relationship doing?
- What makes relationships change, for better or for worse?
- If your relationship is in trouble, how can you turn it around?
- If your relationship is doing well, how can you ensure that your relationship will continue to grow?
- As your relationship improves, how can you make changes last?
2. Assessing your relationship
- Learn to recognize the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and what to do if they are attacking your relationship/marriage
- Identify your relationship’s specific strengths and how to build on these
- Learn about the effects of physiological flooding and how it may impede conflict resolution
- Learn the small, easy steps that increase romance in your relationship
3. Building a “Sound Relationship House”
- Learn how Love Maps provide a solid foundation for intimacy
- Use the Fondness and Admiration System to renew respect and care for one another
- Create an Emotional Bank Account that you can draw upon in times of stress
- Develop your problem-solving skills, including the four techniques of effective conflict resolution: Softened Start-up, Accepting Influence, Repair Work, and De-escalation
- Find out how you can make your dreams and aspirations come true for you, your partner, and your relationship
The workshop begins at 9am both mornings and ends at 4.30-5pm both afternoons.
Please be sure to read our Cancellation Policy